Shanese Johnson

Member since: Friday, 10 February 2017
Last Visit: Never
First Name
Last Name
Campaign Cycle
Common Pleas
Sitting Judge
(215) 874-7270
Email Address
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Ballot Position
Button #
Bar Association Rating
Not Recommended
Democratic City Committee
Progressive Groups
Public Officials
News Papers
Philadelphia Gay News
What has been the general nature of your practice?
My practice is 90% Family Law. The remaining 10% is Guardianship, Small Claim and Landlord/Tenant.
Why do you consider yourself qualified to be judge?
I have almost 20 years of experience as a practicing lawyer primarily in Family Law. I was Chair of the Philadelphia Bar Association Family Law Section in 2010. I have been given various professional awards including West Chester University's Drum Major and Legacy of Leadership Awards, Rising Star by Super Lawyers and Lawyers on the Fast Track. I have earned the respect of the judges I appear in front of and the thousands of clients I have represented over the years.
What is it about our criminal justice system that inspires you?
The fact that in our country defendants are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Defendants have a right to a fair trial and to be judges by a jury of their peers. Defendants do not have to prove their innocence and prosecutors have to prove their guilt.
What about our current criminal justice system do you believe needs to be reformed?
The criminal justice system needs to be reformed in regard to employing programs on crime prevention and programs to lessen the chances of recidivism. If defendant is convicted of a crime, a focus needs to be on education, employment and drug treatment to address the issues that often likely contributed to underlying criminal conduct. For example, if a defendant has a drug problem and he or she is stealing to support a drug habit, a focus needs to be on providing effective treatment to help the defendant overcome his or her drug addiction.
As a judge, what would your sentencing philosophy be?
As a judge I would balance the need for punishment with the compassion and understanding for the situation of a specific defendant. Society seeks punishment for those that break laws but as a judge you must weight that with a second chance which is warranted in many circumstances.
Have you ever woken up in the middle of the night thinking about a case and wishing you had handled something differently? If so, please describe one situation.
I don't wake up in the middle of the night regretting how I handled a case. I prepare thoroughly before I go into the courtroom. I have given cases the best lawyering I possibly could yet the judge did not give me the custody order I had hoped for my client which did disappoint me.
Who are your role models and why?
My parents are my role models. They have always loved me unconditionally and supported me.
What is your favorite book, movie, or tv show of all time and why did it speak to you so much?
A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown. It's an autobiography of a woman that overcame a life of extraordinary hardship to become an attorney.
Name a song that you were obsessed with as a teenager.
Prince's Adore
What is you favorite number?
NewsNo Result